Carrick Township, ON

In 1850-51, the Elora Road (now Highway 9 and County Road 3) was laid out up to the northwest corner of Carrick Township, which joined Bruce County to the rest of southwestern Ontario. Lots were laid out in Concessions C and D on either side of the road. The remainder of the Township was surveyed in 1852. Word of the excellent quality land moved quickly and many settlers moved to the area and squatted on the lands before the official land sale in 1854.

In 1854, when the United Townships of the County of Bruce was dissolved, the townships of Brant and Carrick remained united, with Brant being the senior township. On January 1, 1856, the union was dissolved Carrick Township commenced its separate municipal existence.

The village of Mildmay is situated within the geographical boundaries of Carrick Township. Mildmay incorporated as a village in 1918, although its population would have been sufficient for such incorporation in the 1880s.

In 1998, Mildmay joined with the Township of Carrick to form the Township of Mildmay-Carrick. The following year, Mildmay-Carrick amalgamated with Teeswater-Culross to form South Bruce, choosing Teeswater as the seat of the municipality.

Sources: “History of the County of Bruce, Volume 1” by Norman Robertson, “History of the County of Bruce, Volume 2” by Norman McLeod.

For more information about this site contact us or visit us online at Bruce County Museum & Cultural Centre.

© 2015 Bruce County Museum & Cultural Centre. Ownership of the images on this site belongs to the BCM&CC or individuals as identified.

Close Menu