Port Elgin, ON

Port Elgin was a village that rapidly developed due to the men who founded or afterwards lived there; namely Henry Hilker, Samuel Bricker, Clement Sieffert, Benjamin Shantz, Martin Hoover and John Stafford. In 1852-1854 these men settled on farm lots which they had surveyed into village lots in 1857.

Gradually, roads opened, houses were built, and trade and commerce increased. The construction of a pier, built in 1857-1858, permitted the landing of passengers and goods and ultimately built up the export trade of the village. Around the same time that the pier was built, the government undertook the construction of a small breakwater, the first step toward the making of a harbor.

The post office in town was erected in 1854 and called “Normanton”, by the Post Office Department. (Despite the unfavourable reception to the name, it continued as such until 1874, when the village incorporated and the name was changed to Port Elgin.)

Early industries in Port Elgin included wagonmaking, blacksmithing, sawmills, a foundry, brickmaking, a woolen factory, a tannery, and a grist mill. The opening of the railway for traffic in 1873 resulted in an augmented volume of trade. By 1873, the population had increased enough for the by-law to pass (effective January, 1874), to have the village incorporated and separated from the Township of Saugeen.

Port Elgin was incorporated as a town in 1949. The town’s mainstay continues to be a large tourist industry. Tree-lined streets gave the name “The Maples” to the town, reflecting its spacious lawns, fine gardens and neat streets. A cottage area called Goble’s Grove in Saugeen Township has also contributed to the town’s welfare. The town’s name commemorates Lord Elgin, who was Governor-General at the time the settlement was taking shape.

In 1998, Port Elgin amalgamated with Saugeen Township and the town of Southampton to form the town of Saugeen Shores.

Sources:
Levie, Carmin J. “Reminiscences : Port Elgin Centennial 1874-1974.” Port Elgin, Ont.: Port Elgin Rotary Club, 1974. Print.
Robertson, Heather. “The History of Port Elgin.” 1975. Print.

Soldiers

Atkinson, Ralph Edgerton
Atkinson, Robert John "Bob"
Avis, Lorne Garnet
Bannister, Frederick
Bell, Sidney
Bentley, George Edward
Black, Daniel Alexander
Black, Melville "Mike" Gourley
Brogan, Michael Francis
Brown, Bert
Brown, Walter Clark
Bulger, Thomas Charles
Cairns, John Alexander
Carter, Reg (William Reginald)
Christie, Oliver
Clark, Malcolm
Clark, Neil
Clazie, Edward William
Clazie, John "Jack"
Cottrill, Gordon "Gord"
Darling, Lloyd Lyness
DEL, J.A
Dell, Eldon Crossley
deRoux (nee Sees), Kathleen Thelma
Eaton, George Andrew
Eidt, Roy Edward
Eidt, Vera
Elder, James
Evers, Albert Henry
Ewald, William
Ferguson, Daniel Arthur
Galbraith, Thomas
Geddes, Frank Kidner
Geddes, John Rowand
Geddes, Ralph Charles
Geddes, William Ewart
Gibbons, Orville
Gilbert, Charles Morris
Gilbert, Henry Victor
Grant, George Louis
Greenslade, William Thomas
Gregg, John Alexander
Grieve, George Grant
Grieve, John Gordon
Hall, Frank
Harman, Gordon Francis
Harman, Stanley Milton
Harmon, William Milton
Helwig, Ervin
Hendry, Earl James
Hendry, William John
Hepner, Gordon George
Herron, John Christopher Hutcheson
Hettrick, Norman Gilbert
Hill, Ambrose Martin
Hodge, Joseph Arthur
Holloway, Albert
Howe, Emerson
Howe, John Amer
Hurlock, Charles William
Jackman, Percy
Jamieson, John McMillan
Johnston, Charles Albert
Jones, James Edward
Kidd, William Elijah
Kincaid, Samuel
Kolb, William Hugh
Lamont, Donald McTavish
Lamont, Victor Earl
Laur, Wilfred "Wilf"
Leeder, Arthur Iden
MacDonald, David Gordon
MacKenzie, William
McArthur, Colin James
McCannell, Alexander Neil
McCaw, Lawrence Murray "Mike"
McCaw, Thomas
McConnell, William John
McGillivray, Donald Duncan
McGillivray, George Hugh
McGillivray, Murray Alexander
McIntyre, Angus
McLean, Harvey Caldwell
McLeod, Elizabeth Nora Campbell
McMurray, John Wilfred Cecil
McQuarrie, Donald Fraser
McVeety, John Wallace "Jack"
Miller, Arthur John
Mitchell, William John
Moore, Melvin
Moulton, Morris Alexander
Muir, John Francis (Jack)
Muir, Robert Stewart
Munro, John Ewart
Neale, Arthur John
Northgrave, William Denton
Nunn, Joseph
Osborne, Robert
Osborne, William Henry
Parr, Albert Edgar
Parr, Arthur Howard
Parr, Roy Sylvester
Perry, Daniel
Prosser, Carleton Decker
Reany, Wilfred Meredith
Ribey, Nelson John
Riebel, Albert Edwin
Riebel, William Eugene
Rushton, James Edgar
Saleman, James Henry
Saunders, Gordon Lewis
Schell, Lawrence Robert
Sees, Frederick Jorold
Sees, Vivian Winnifred
Shiels, Andrew
Sparks, George Henry
Stanley, Samuel Davidson
Stephenson, Robert "Bobby"
Stewart, Alexander Esplen
Stewart, Alfred Edward
Stoddart, James Douglas
Strachan, William Kay
Sturgeon, John Reginald (Jack)
Taylor, Harold Lloyd
Teeple, Joseph Clazie
Thomas, Charles William
Thomson, Roy Reid
Walker, George Edward
Walker, John Hutton
Wallace, James Scott
Webb, Arthur Ernest
Webster, Thomas Murray
Weishun, George Kasper
Willoughby, William Thomas
Wismer, Hallick Floyd
Young, James
Young, Joseph "Joe" Wilbert
Young, Thomas George

For more information about this site contact us or visit us online at Bruce County Museum & Cultural Centre.

© 2015 Bruce County Museum & Cultural Centre. Ownership of the images on this site belongs to the BCM&CC or individuals as identified.

Close Menu