The first Elderslie Township settlers settled in the vicinity of Paisley after travelling down the Saugeen River in 1851. The town plot was surveyed in 1856 and the name Paisley was given to the village when the post office opened on February 1, 1856.
The Village of Paisley was incorporated by County Council by-law dated June 7, 1873, with its first municipal election held January 5, 1874.
In January 1999, Paisley, Chesley, Elderslie Township, Arran Township, and Tara amalgamated to form the Municipality of Arran-Elderslie in January 1999.
Robertson, Norman. “The History of the County of Bruce and of the minor municipalities therein.” Toronto: William Briggs, 1906.