FORMOSA [of Carrick Township]is a post village near the north-west corner, on the line of Culross, distant eight miles from Walkerton. It is romantically situated, in a rocky valley, through which flows Stony Creek, which furnishes the motive power for several mills. The population, as in Carlsruhe, is almost purely German and Catholic. It is connected with Walkerton by a daily stage, carrying the mails. One of the most prominent features of the village is the Convent, a handsome stone structure, occupying a very prominent position on the brow of a hill, overlooking the village. It is under the care of the Sisters De Notre Dame, and a boarding school connected with it is liberally patronized. A very fine Catholic Church is being erected here, which, when completed, will be one of the handsomest in the Province. It will be called St. Mary’s Church of the Immaculate Conception. Services are at present held in the old church, a frame building, erected twenty years ago. The village also contains two cabinet shops, two tailor shops, four shoe shops, a brewery, two cooper shops, four hotels, two butcher shops, a stove and tin shop, two general stores, a grist mill, saw mill, carding mill, pump factory, grain cradle factory, two blacksmith shops, two carriage shops, a harness shop, grocery, and 525 inhabitants. First published in the “Bruce County Gazeteer and Business Directory for 1880-81” published by William W. Evans.