Cargill, ON

YOKASSIPPI [later known as CARGILL] is a thriving-looking village which has sprung up during the past year, and bids fair to become an important business centre. It is located on the Brant town line [Greenock Township] and on the W.G.&B.R.R.; one and a quarter miles from Pinkerton station, and nine miles from Walkerton. The Yokassippi, or Mud River, from which the village derives its name, passes through the place, and affords an excellent water privilege, which has been taken advantage of by the erection of an extensive saw and grist mill, carried on by Mr. Henry Cargill, under whose fostering care the village is rapidly attaining importance. The saw mill employs 25 hands, and turns out 500,000 feet of lumber, 5,000 squares of shingles, and from 15,000 to 20,000 bundles of lath annually. Steam power as well as water is employed. The grist mill contains two runs of stones, which are fully employed. There has already been erected besides the mills, a store, a wagon and blacksmith shop, a hotel, and about a dozen houses. A post office has been applied for, which will no doubt not long be delayed. Mr. Cargill has, at his own expense, erected a commodious station house, and trains stop here regularly. The station is known as Mickles. First published in the “Bruce County Gazeteer and Business Directory for 1880-81” published by William W. Evans.

Cenotaphs & Cemeteries

No Cenotaphs or Cemeteteries Listed