Brant Township, ON

Provincial Land Surveyor A.P. Brough surveyed the colonization road (Durham Road) from the village of Durham through Bentinck, Brant, Greenock and Kincardine Townships to Lake Huron Settlement in or around 1848. Settlement in the township started as early as 1849 with “free grants” consisting of the first and second concessions north and south of the Durham Road. Brough completed the survey of Brant Township in 1850, and the rest of the lots in the township were offered for sale in August 1851.

In 1853, when the United Townships of the County of Bruce was dissolved, the townships of Brant and Carrick remained united, with Brant Township as the senior township. The Township of Brant incorporated separately on January 1, 1856.

As the settlers arrived, many communities developed within the township, the largest being Walkerton. In 1871, Walkerton incorporated as a town.

The Municipality of Brockton was formed on January 1, 1999, by amalgamating the township of Brant, township of Greenock and the town of Walkerton. Brockton’s name was formed as a portmanteau of the three merged municipalities (Brant Greenock Walkerton).

For more information about this site contact us or visit us online at Bruce County Museum & Cultural Centre.

© 2015 Bruce County Museum & Cultural Centre. Ownership of the images on this site belongs to the BCM&CC or individuals as identified.

Close Menu