Albemarle Township, ON

Albemarle Township was located on the southern portion of the Bruce Peninsula, Bruce County, Ontario, Canada, between the former Eastnor Township to the north and the former Amabel Township to the south. The southern part of Albemarle Township was surveyed in 1855. The northern portion was surveyed in 1856. Township lots were offered for sale at an auction in Toronto in 1857. Conditions of settlement were not attached to these lots resulting in a large number of lots initially being purchased by speculators instead of settlers. The land sale, and subsequent administration of the area was conducted by the Department of Indian Affairs. The first post office in the township was established at Colpoy’s Bay in 1863

In 1858, Albemarle Township was initially united with two townships to its south, Amabel Township and Arran Township for municipal purposes, pursuant to Bruce County by-law passed December 29, 1857. The three townships remained united, with Arran Township as the senior township, until January 1, 1861 when Arran Township separated and the United Townships of Amabel and Albemarle formed as a separate municipal corporation pursuant to Bruce County by-law dated September 26, 1860. That union was dissolved in 1870 and the United Townships of Albemarle and Eastnor was formed, with Albemarle as the senior township. This union was joined on January 1, 1873 by Lindsay Township and St. Edmunds Township, pursuant to Bruce County by-law dated June 21, 1872. In 1878, Albemarle Township achieved independent municipal status and separated from the union with Eastnor, Lindsay and St. Edmunds, pursuant to Bruce County by-law dated June 8, 1877.

Albemarle Township existed as a separate entity thereafter until 1999 when the Town of South Bruce Peninsula formed through an amalgamation of Amabel Township, Albemarle Township, the Village of Hepworth, and the Town of Wiarton.

Sources:
a) Albemarle Township Historical Society. “Albemarle: A History of the Township.” Ed. Dorothy Crocker. Wiarton: Albemarle Township Historical Society, 1991. Print.
b) Mika, Nick, and Helma Mika. “Places in Ontario.” Belleville: Mika Publishing Company, 1997.
c) Robertson, Norman. “The History of the County of Bruce and of the minor municipalities therein.” Toronto: William Briggs, 1906.

Soldiers

Akiwenzie, Andrew Joseph
Arnold, Harold Thomas
Ashcroft, Dona Isobel
Baird, David Harold
Baird, Walter Manley
Blake, Andrew W.
Blake, James Herbert
Boyd, Clifford
Campbell, Joseph Gordon
Carlson, Ronald Lionel
Couch, Kenneth Dougald
Cramm, William ‘Clarence’
Crane, Florence
Crawford, Charles Clarence
Crawford, David Russell
Crawford, David Sidman
Crawford, George
Crawford, Harold Ivan
Crawford, John Ivan
Crawford, Rennie
Crawford, Vincent
Crawford, William John
Cunningham, Charles James
Cunningham, James
Dance, Edna Pearl (Hyatt)
Farrow, Basil Ernest
Ferrell, Samuel Milton
Forbes, Richard Frederick
Given, Arthur Horatio Kitchener
Given, James Allen
Given, Reginald Lyle
Given, Robert John
Gunnis, Victor Nelson
Hardman, Edson
Hepburn, Charles
Hepburn, Herbert
Hepburn, Morley John
Hepburn, Wallace Lorne "Bing"
Holler, Roy Daniel
Howe, David Stewart
Howe, Garnet
Howe, Ivan
Jones, Howard Arnold
King, George Arthur
King, Louise
Lemcke, Earl William
Lemcke, John Alexander
Livingston, George Taylor
McCartney, George David Edward
McCartney, Thomas Alexander
McElrea, Herbert Samuel
McElrea, Theodore Edward
McElrea, Victor Arnott
Morrison, Wesley
Petter, Edward "Ted" Harry
Petter, George Leslie "Les"
Petter, Walter James "Wally"
Pruder, Clarence George
Pruder, Wilfred Samuel John
Reid, Homer
Rodgers, George Thomas
Scales, Robert John
Slack, Frederick
Strapp, John Arthur
Strapp, Roy L.
Strapp, Willa
Thom, John MacGregor
Totten, Walter James
Urbshott, Frederick John
Urbshott, Isadore
Urbshott, Kenneth Elgin
Watson, Gordon Richard
Watson, John Henry
Weaver, Earl Edward
Whicher, Edmund Ernest
White, Kenneth Wallace
Winch, Beverly Clifford