Royal Canadian Ordnance Corps

1939 – 1945

The Royal Canadian Ordnance Corps (RCOC) was an administrative corps of the Canadian Army, with roots traced back to 1871 (formerly the Canadian Stores Department). This civil service was charged with control of forts, ammunition, stores, buildings and an ordnance depot left by the departing British Military.

In 1907 the unit was renamed the Canadian Ordnance Corps. In 1919, for recognition of outstanding service during the First World War, King George V authorized the “Royal” designation.

In the Second World War, the RCOC procured all the material goods required by the Army, from clothing to weapons. Until 1944, the RCOC was also responsible for maintenance and repair.

When the Army, Royal Canadian Navy, and Royal Canadian Air Force were merged in 1968 to form the Canadian Forces, the administrative corps of the Army was deactivated and merged with Naval and Air Force counterparts. The Royal Canadian Ordnance Corps was combined with the transport and supply elements of the Royal Canadian Army Service Corps to form the Logistics Branch.

Source: “Royal Canadian Ordnance Corps”. Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Canadian_Ordnance_Corps, accessed July 2, 2020.

For more information about this site contact us or visit us online at Bruce County Museum & Cultural Centre.

© 2015 Bruce County Museum & Cultural Centre. Ownership of the images on this site belongs to the BCM&CC or individuals as identified.

Close Menu