The 48th Highlanders of Canada are an infantry regiment of Canada’s Primary Reserves. The regiment has been located in downtown Toronto from its founding in 1891 to today. The original roster included a small bugle band and several pipers. The pipe band and the military band (the first kilted brass band in Canada) both date from 1892.
The 48th Highlanders primary role is service to Canadians. In the event of declaration of war, the Reserves form a framework for mobilization, as was done in both the First and Second World Wars.
First World War: Also known as the 15th Battalion, the 48th Highlanders went overseas in October, 1914. Three battalions were recruited for the 48th – the 15th and two reinforcement battalions, the 92nd and the 134th. The regiment’s 21 Battle Honours resulted in 1,467 soldiers killed in action.
Second World War: The 1st Battalion, 48th Highlanders went overseas in December, 1939, as part of the 1st Brigade of the 1st Division. A total of 317 Highlanders were killed in action in Italy and Holland.
“The 48th Highlanders of Canada is a Primary Reserve Infantry Regiment”. 48th Highlanders: Dileas Gu Brath, http://www.48highlanders.com/01_00.html, accessed on June 24, 2020.
“48th Highlanders of Canada”. The Canadian Encyclopedia, https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/48th-highlanders-of-canada-emc, accessed on June 24, 2020.
Bristow, James M.
Campbell, Joseph Gordon
Cooper, Maxwell Garney "Max"
Davis, William "Bill" Weston
Dodds, Oliver Ward
Donald, John Malcom
Eldridge, Herbert William
Lang, Ronald Bell
MacKenzie, Donald Alexander
Osborne, Cecil Robert
Patterson, Gordon Leslie ‘Les’
Tweedy, Thomas Osborne