Underwood is a post village near the centre [of Bruce Township], on the Kincardine and Southampton Gravel Road, distant 15 miles from each of these places, and 10 miles from Port Elgin. Daily stages, carrying the mails, connect it with each of these places. It contains two hotels, a cheese factory, two stores, three carriage shops, a saw mill, grist mill, two blacksmith shops, a plow factory, shoe shop, tailor shop, and 150 inhabitants. The first survey of the village was made about 1873, but a post office was established in 1361. First published in the “Bruce County Gazeteer and Business Directory for 1880-81” published by William W. Evans.