Originally known as Bury, Tobermory began to prosper when town plot lots were offered for sale in 1886. With lumbering as an early primary industry in the area, by 1901 the population had reached 623. By 1911, it dropped to 423. Source: “Hewers of the Forests and Fishers of the Lakes: The History of Tobermory & St. Edmunds Township, 1870-1984” 2nd ed. (revised.).