Tara is an enterprising village to the north of Invermay, the limits of which join those of the latter place. Both of these villages commenced settling about the same time, but Tara is fast outstripping its rival in business spirit and enterprise. It is distant 16 miles from Owen Sound, and the same distance from Southampton. It is pleasantly located on the banks of the Sauble River which here affords an excellent water privilege, which has been utilized by the erection of several mills and manufactories. It is also surrounded by fine agricultural country, and being on the line of the Stratford and Lake Huron Railway, now building, must become an important shipping station. The main street contains a number of fine brick blocks, occupied as stores, which have the appearance of doing a prosperous business. There are also two handsome brick churches (Methodist and Presbyterian), two carriage shops, a drug store, two blacksmith shops, four general stores, two cabinet shops, two millinery stores, a foundry, two sash and door factories, two shoe stores, a saw mill, three hotels, a harness shop, jeweller’s shop, pottery, tailor shop, grocery, grain cradle factory, two hardware stores, a marble shop, bakery, photograph gallery, two livery stables, a grist mill, woolen mill, butcher shop, and 600 inhabitants. The village was laid out in 1855 by John Hamilton and Richard Berford. The post office was established in 1864, John Tobey being the first postmaster. First published in the “Bruce County Gazeteer and Business Directory for 1880-81” published by William W. Evans.