Lucknow is an incorporated village in the south part [of Kinloss Township], on the Huron Co. line. It is also a station on the South Extension of the W.G.&B.R.R. It is pleasantly located, regularly laid out, and surrounded by a fine farming country. It is also an important grain market, large quantities being annually shipped from this point. The main street contains a number of substantial business blocks, devoted to the various branches of trade and commerce, and present a flourishing appearance. A considerable amount of manufacturing is also carried on here, the Nine Mile River, which passes through the village, affording abundant water power though steam power is also used to a large extent. A well conducted weekly paper, the Lucknow Sentinel, is published here and is liberally sustained. The population is about 1,200. The village is distant from Kincardine 16 miles. The village was laid out in 1861, by James Somerville, and incorporated in 1873. First published in the “Bruce County Gazeteer and Business Directory for 1880-81” published by William W. Evans.