KINCARDINE, the most populous town in the County, is situated on the lake shore [in Kincardine Township], not far from the line of Huron, and has a population of about 3000. It is very pleasantly located, being regularly laid out, with fine broad streets. Backed by a fertile agricultural country at the rear, and with first-class harbour accommodations on the lake, it is naturally an important commercial as well as manufacturing centre. It is distant 36 miles north of Goderich, and 28 miles from Walkerton, the County seat. Queen Street, the principal business thoroughfare, is lined with substantial blocks and stores, devoted to the various branches of trade and commerce, while numerous elegant mansions and residences adorn the suburban portions. The town is divided by the river Penetangore, which enters by four branches, uniting about half a mile from the lake, and flowing through the centre into the harbour. This is spanned on the main street by a substantial bridge, with a broad carriage way and ample foot paths for pedestrians. On the main street, near the centre, is located the Market House and Town Hall, a substantial brick structure, containing offices for the clerk and treasurer, a council chamber, and a commodious public hail, well fitted up. In her educational advantages Kincardine is by no means behind her sister towns of the Province, the school buildings, consisting of a high school and three ward schools, being commodious brick structures, amply furnished, well officered, and liberally patronized. Kincardine is also the terminus of the Southern Extension of the W.G.&B.R.R., which connecting with the main trunk lines of the Province, renders the town ease of access from all principal points. First published in the “Bruce County Gazeteer and Business Directory for 1880-81” published by William W. Evans.