CHESLEY is a flourishing post village, near the east line [Elderslie Township], distant 12 miles from Paisley, and 16 from Walkerton. It is beautifully situated and is growing steadily in population, having the advantage of an excellent agricultural country surrounding it, and a fine water privilege furnished by the east branch of the Saugeen River, which has been utilized by the erection of one of the largest flouring mills in the Province, besides a number of smaller mills and factories. Being also on the line of the Stratford and Lake Huron Railway, it will doubtless become an important grain market as well as manufacturing centre. It contains five churches (two Presbyterian, a Baptist, Episcopalian and Canada Methodist), three hotels, four carriage shops, three grocery stores, six general stores, three butcher shops, four blacksmith shops, two machine shops, two hardware stores, two stores, a bakery, printing office (Chesley Enterprise, published weekly), foundry, flouring mill, woolen mill, three book stores, two harness shops, a saw mill, drug store, photograph gallery, three shoe stores, two cooper shops, a grain cradle factory, cabinet shop, tailor shop, planing mill, sash and door factory, livery stable, millinery store, brick yard, flour and feed store, a bank, and a population of 850. First published in the “Bruce County Gazeteer and Business Directory for 1880-81,” published by William W. Evans.