Carrick Township, ON

This township [Carrick] is bounded on the north by the township of Brant; on the east by the township of Normanby, Grey Co.; on the south by the township of Howick, Huron Co.; and on the west by the township of Culross. It occupies the south-east corner of the County. The County Valuator’s report of this township, as follows: “This we found to be the best adapted township for stock and dairy farming of any in the county, on account of its numerous springs, and soil, the latter of which is mostly loam, mixed with limestone, which is better adapted for grazing and root growing than stiff clay. There is a strip of very rough gravelly land running through it, termed the forty hills, which is very inferior land, but the balance of the township is mostly ordinary land. It has the best outbuildings of any township in the county.” The W. G. & B. R. R. passes through the centre of the township, intercepting the village of Mildmay. There are four post offices in the township, viz: Ambleside, Carlsruhe, Formosa and Mildmay. The area of the township is 59,468 acres, and the population 5,278. First published in the “Bruce County Gazeteer and Business Directory for 1880-81,” published by William W. Evans.

Cenotaphs & Cemeteries

STORIES & ARTIFACTS

For more information about this site contact us or visit us online at Bruce County Museum & Cultural Centre.

© 2015 Bruce County Museum & Cultural Centre. Ownership of the images on this site belongs to the BCM&CC or individuals as identified.