Amabel Township, ON

This township [Amabel] is bounded on the north by the township of Albemarle; on the east by the township of Keppel, Grey County; on the south by the township of Arran; and on the west by Lake Huron. The lands of the Indian Reservation border on the south-west quarter, lying between that portion of its west line and the lake. The township is well watered by the Sauble River and its tributaries, affording excellent water privileges, while numerous small lakes dot the surface. Immediately off its north-west border are located the famous Fishing Islands, so named from their importance as fishing grounds, from whence thousands of barrels of white fish, herring, and trout are annually produced. Colpoy’s Bay skirts its north-east corner, on which is located the thriving village of Wiarton. The Stratford and Lake Huron Railway passes through the township on its east border, intercepting the villages of Allenford and Hepworth, and terminating at Wiarton. The soil is rich light loam, with a limestone foundation. There is much good land in this township, but in some parts it is extremely rocky. There are five post offices in the township, viz.: Allenford, Chippewa Hill, Park Head, Sauble River, and Skipness. First published in the “Bruce County Gazeteer and Business Directory for 1880-81” published by William W. Evans

Cenotaphs & Cemeteries

STORIES & ARTIFACTS

For more information about this site contact us or visit us online at Bruce County Museum & Cultural Centre.

© 2015 Bruce County Museum & Cultural Centre. Ownership of the images on this site belongs to the BCM&CC or individuals as identified.