Tiverton is an incorporated village, pleasantly located, on the line of Bruce township [and Kincardine Township], and on the Kincardine and Southampton gravel road. It is distant nine miles from Kincardine, 15 from Port Elgin, and 26 from Walkerton. A large grain trade is carried on here, it being the centre of a very fertile agricultural country, and only two and a half miles from the port of Inverhuron, from whence the grain is shipped. An organization has lately been formed here for the purpose of securing an annual agricultural exhibition, and monthly cattle fairs are also to be held. Daily stages, carrying the mails, connect it with Port Elgin and Kincardine. The village contains three churches, (Presbyterian, Baptist and Methodist), three carriage shops, three butcher shops, a book store, three hotels, five general stores, four blacksmith shops, two cabinet shops, two hardware stores, two stove stores, two harness shops, a tannery, plow factory, livery stable, two grocery stores, two shoe stores, two grist mills, a saw mill, two tailor shops, a horse collar factory, a drug store, printing office (the Tiverton Watchman), planing mill, foundry, woolen mill, bakery, and a population of about 900. The post office was established in 1860. First published in the “Bruce County Gazeteer and Business Directory for 1880-81” published by William W. Evans.