Teeswater is an incorporated village, a little south of the centre [in Culross Township], beautifully situated on the banks of the river from which it receives its name, and is surrounded by fine agricultural country. It is distant sixteen miles from Walkerton. It is the terminus of the extension of the Toronto, Grey and Bruce Railway from Orangeville. The river affords excellent water privileges, which are utilized by a number of mills and factories which have been erected on its banks. A very handsome school building, for the Central School, was erected in 1878, at a cost of $6,000. The village contains seven churches (Baptist, Catholic, two Presbyterian, Episcopalian, Canada Methodist and Methodist Episcopal), a millinery store, two bakeries, a creamery, three carriage shops, two saw mills, three planing mills, four cabinet shops, a photograph Gallery, two grist mills, two butcher shops, four hotels, a jewellery store, two shoe stores, two stove stores, a tannery, hardware store, printing office, (the Teeswater News), three livery stables, a barber shop, two tailor shops, four blacksmith shops, a foundry, six general stores, two cooper shops, a stave factory, four grocery stores, two drug stores, three book stores, a pump factory, bank, woolen mill, two harness shops, and a population of 1000. The village was laid out in 1856 by Peter B. Brown, Alexander Gibson, M. Hadwin, and Ira Fulford. First published in the “Bruce County Gazeteer and Business Directory for 1880-81” published by William W. Evans.