McIntosh United Cemetery, Carrick Township

McIntosh United Cemetery, Carrick Township

The first graves marked by headstones in the cemetery are dated at 1861. Prior to 1933, the upkeep of the cemetery was done by individual plot owners, aided by work “bees” promoted by the Belmore Women’s Institute. In 1933, Joseph Vogan, W. A. Darling, Walter Renwick Sr., George Harkness, and John Harris were responsible for organizing and overseeing the work to improve the whole top covering of the cemetery. In 1943, an additional piece of land was purchased from Leslie Harkness to enlarge the cemetery to the north. In 1964, the Union 13 & 15 School House was purchased and converted into a mortuary and was used until 1986. (Source: "McIntosh Cemetery" transcript, Bruce & Grey Branch, Ontario Genealogical Society).

STORIES & ARTIFACTS

For more information about this site contact us or visit us online at Bruce County Museum & Cultural Centre.

© 2015 Bruce County Museum & Cultural Centre. Ownership of the images on this site belongs to the BCM&CC or individuals as identified.