Immaculate Conception Roman Catholic Cemetery, Carrick Township

Immaculate Conception Roman Catholic Cemetery, Carrick Township

A plaque in front of the church reads as follows: "The Church of the Immaculate Conception. This monumental Gothic church, erected on a commanding site overlooking Formosa, was built to serve a thriving German Catholic parish. Begun in 1875, it was constructed around and over an earlier log building. Work proceeded intermittently with volunteer labour until 1883 when the old church was finally dismantled and the new structure completed. Designed by the prominent Ontario architect, Joseph Connolly and built of locally quarried stone, the church is distinguished by its simple form, boldly-modeled tower and fine spire. Intricate Gothic style altars carved by Nicholas Dürrer, a local craftsman and parishoner, grace the superb interior. Restored and renovated in 1974-75, the Church of the Immaculate Conception remains the focal point of the village and a religious centre for the surrounding area." (Source: "Immaculate Conception Roman Catholic Cemetery" transcript, Bruce & Grey Branch, Ontario Genealogical Society).

STORIES & ARTIFACTS

For more information about this site contact us or visit us online at Bruce County Museum & Cultural Centre.

© 2015 Bruce County Museum & Cultural Centre. Ownership of the images on this site belongs to the BCM&CC or individuals as identified.