First St. Peter's Lutheran Cemetery, Brant Township

First St. Peter's Lutheran Cemetery, Brant Township

"First St. Peter’s Lutheran Church Cemetery is located on Lot 28, Con. 4, Brant Township in the Municipality of Brockton. (On County Road 10 travel north of Hanover and turn left on to Concession 4. The cemetery is on your left, west of the former St. Peter’s Church which is presently used as a residence.) The first congregation was formed by Rev. Ludwig Gernt in 1860 with worship services being held in the Bierworth and Kutz homes. The first church was built in 1862. ... In 1857 fifty-eight members who wanted to remain within the Canada Synod left 1st St. Peter’s and established St. Peter’s Evangelical Lutheran Church on Lot 31, Con. 5 Brant Twp. 1st St. Peter’s Church closed in 1954. The money received from the sale of the church was used to build a fence around the cemetery, erect a cairn in honour of the pioneers and to establish a fund for the care of the cemetery. The most recent burial was in 1987. Source: "First St. Peter’s Lutheran Cemetery" transcript, Bruce Grey Branch Ontario Genealogical Society.

STORIES & ARTIFACTS

For more information about this site contact us or visit us online at Bruce County Museum & Cultural Centre.

© 2015 Bruce County Museum & Cultural Centre. Ownership of the images on this site belongs to the BCM&CC or individuals as identified.