Douglas Hill Cemetery, Brant Township

Douglas Hill Cemetery, Brant Township

When original settler Thomas Douglas’ infant son died, he was buried on a wooded sandy hill in a corner of the John Douglas Farm. When other families were bereaved they asked permission to bury the dead alongside of the Douglas infant. From that time on, a pleasant beautiful spot all on the Elora Road (County Road 3) between Cargill and Paisley has been known as the Douglas Hill Cemetery. On Dec. 30, 1869, a meeting held at West Brant Presbyterian Church resulted in cemetery managers being appointed: John Eckford as chairman and James Eckford as secretary. At that time, John Douglas also agreed to sell the lot for use as a cemetery. The burial ground was entrusted to Trustees of the West Brant Presbyterian Church as a public trust, and a Deed was eventually registered reflecting that decision in May 1874. (Source: "Douglas Hill Cemetery" transcript, Bruce & Grey Branch, Ontario Genealogical Society.)

STORIES & ARTIFACTS

For more information about this site contact us or visit us online at Bruce County Museum & Cultural Centre.

© 2015 Bruce County Museum & Cultural Centre. Ownership of the images on this site belongs to the BCM&CC or individuals as identified.