Curtis Cemetery, Brant Township

Curtis Cemetery, Brant Township

"Mr. Uriah Curtis donated a part of his farm, Lot 14, Con. 6 in Brant Township for a church and a cemetery. The Methodist Church was built of logs and Mr Curtis was installed as the local pastor in 1879. It was here that a number of people from Habermehl worshipped. The cemetery, which was situated just south of the log church, still remains. In 1972 the grounds where relandscaped and the stones placed together in the center of the lot on a permanent cement 80s. Unfortunately some of the stones were in such poor condition that it was impossible to save them. Burials were made here for over 90 years dating from 1858 to 1949." Source: "Curtis Lake Cemetery" transcript, Bruce Grey Branch Ontario Genealogical Society.

STORIES & ARTIFACTS

For more information about this site contact us or visit us online at Bruce County Museum & Cultural Centre.

© 2015 Bruce County Museum & Cultural Centre. Ownership of the images on this site belongs to the BCM&CC or individuals as identified.