Burgoyne Cemetery, Saugeen Township

Burgoyne Cemetery, Saugeen Township

This two acre pioneer community cemetery is located in Saugeen Township on part of Lot 35, on the First Range west of the Elora Road, approximately 1/2 mile north of Burgoyne. This cemetery is near the Burgoyne Presbyterian Church, but not necessarily associated with it. The earliest recorded burial was of a young boy, Donald McLean, aged one year, in November 1852. According to the tombstones it seems there were only a few burials during the next twenty years. In 1874, the farm on Lot 35 was sold to Neil McLean who sold two acres of the land where his son was buried for use as a cemetery, for the sum of $300. Mr. McLean died the same month, and the deed was not completed until 1883. Each year those interested would form a "bee" to clean up and repair stones. This final resting place of so many pioneers was maintained by the community until the Township of Saugeen became financially responsible for its upkeep and maintenance in 1981. Source: Bruce County Genealogical Society cemetery transcript, 1996.

STORIES & ARTIFACTS

For more information about this site contact us or visit us online at Bruce County Museum & Cultural Centre.

© 2015 Bruce County Museum & Cultural Centre. Ownership of the images on this site belongs to the BCM&CC or individuals as identified.